Under 23 Concerto Competition
In 2002, the GSO initiated this competition to offer talented young musicians the opportunity to perform a full concerto as part of our regular concert series.
The Under 23 Concerto Competition will resume when it is safe to do so. It will be open to ALL instrumentalists. Candidates will be required to submit an application form, with a link to a performance of one movement of a concerto or concerted work, in which they are the featured soloist. Candidates may elect to play a different concerto than in the link provided, if selected for the final round. Finalists will be invited to audition live before a jury.
The Winner will be invited to perform a full concert, at a concert in the GSO’s 2022-23 season. The runner-up will be invited to play a single movement.
NOTE: Applicants must arrange for their own piano accompaniment A list of local accompanists will be provided upon request. The second piano provided will be a digital one. Applicants may enter the competition with. any concerto of their choice, but may be asked to select another work to perform in consideration of the program and cost/availability of orchestral parts.
For queries or additional information, contact
• 2002 Sarah Choi (piano)
• 2003 Judith Manger (cello)
• 2004 Cecilia Kang (clarinet) and Mark Laver (saxophone)
• 2005 Todd Yaniw (piano)
• 2006 Desiree Abbey (cello)
• 2007 joint winners Colin Liu (clarinet) and Winston Hind (tuba)
• 2008 Ben Chapman (piano)
• 2009 Amir Safavi (violin)
• 2010 Afendi Yusuf (Clarinet) and Hugo Lee (oboe)
• 2011 Sarah Whynot (piano)
• 2012 William McLeish (cello)
• 2013 Laura Andrews (flute)
• 2014 William Bellehumeur (piano)
• 2015 Emma Meinrenken (violin)
• 2016 Coral Soloman, piano
Runners-up: Leslie Ashworth (violin), Morgan Melbourne (piano), Felix Hong (piano)
• 2017 Jillian Carney (flute)
• 2018 (tie) Samuel Choi (viola) and Lynn Sue-A-Quan (viola)
Runners-up: Natania Fok (piano) , Livia Coburn (cello)
•2019 : Emily Bosenius (violin)
Runners-up: Veronika Manchur, (violin), James David Conquer (saxophone)
•2020 : Emad Zolfaghari (viola)
Runner-up: Tiffany Yeung (violin)